Sökning: onr:"swepub:oai:DiVA.org:miun-12255" >
SMALL SCALE IN-SITU...
SMALL SCALE IN-SITU BIOREMEDIATIONOF DIESEL CONTAMINATED SOIL –SCREENING LIFE CYCLE ASSESSMENT OF ENVIRONMENTAL PERFORMANCE
- Akambih Tajam, Joseph, (författare)
- Mittuniversitetet, Institutionen för teknik och hållbar utveckling
- Jonsson, Anders, (författare)
- Mittuniversitetet, Institutionen för teknik och hållbar utveckling, Echo
- Fröling, Morgan, 1966- (författare)
- Mittuniversitetet, Institutionen för teknik och hållbar utveckling, Echotechnology
Mittuniversitetet Fakulteten för naturvetenskap, teknik och medier. Institutionen för teknik och hållbar utveckling.
Ingår i: ECO-TECH´10, 22-24 November 2010, Kalmar, Sweden : International Conference on Natural Sciences andTechnologies for Waste and Wastewater Treatment,Remediation, Emissions Related to Climate, Environmentaland Economic Effects. ; s. 827-835
Läs hela texten (fulltext)
- Spillage of diesel oil and other petroleum products is a commonly creating need for siteremediation of contaminated soils. In Sweden the most common remediation action isexcavation of the contaminated soil and off site biological treatment by composting.However, a number of small sites spread out in rural areas end up low on priority lists, andwill not be attended to within foreseeable future if ever. For such areas a low cost, easy toapply remediation techniques would be of interest. Enhanced bioremediation of dieselcontaminants in soil by whey addition has been demonstrated in lab scale. Whey is a byproductfrom cheese production. A first pilot remediation trial on an actual site in Gäddede,County of Jämtland, was started the summer of 2010. Using this site as a case study ascreening life cycle assessment model has been set up. The goal of the study was toinvestigate the environmental performance of the whey method, to benchmark the wheymethod toward the excavation and composting practice and to identify environmental hotspots in the whey treatment life cycle. The study aims at establishing if further work shouldbe put into developing the method, or if the environmental performance is such that the wheymethod should be abandoned. It should be noted that even with a slightly worseenvironmental performance compared to other remediation alternatives whey treatment couldstill be of interest, since the small scale sites in rural areas we talk about here otherwise mostoften would not be attended to.Results from the screening life cycle assessment indicate a rather good environmentalperformance of the whey method, partly depending on impact category considered. For thewhey method, impacts from farming activities in the milk production chain allocated to thewhey give significant contributions. Transportation gives important impacts from both thewhey method and the excavation and off site composting, thus logistics should always beconsidered and optimized. The whey on-site treatment could be an interesting alternative forbioremediation especially at sites that would not otherwise be treated, due to small size orremote location.
- diesel contamination
- whey treatment
- NATURAL SCIENCES
- NATURAL SCIENCES Chemistry Environmental chemistry
- NATURVETENSKAP Kemi Miljökemi
- TECHNOLOGY Other technology Environmental engineering
- TEKNIKVETENSKAP Övriga teknikvetenskaper Miljöteknik
Publikations- och innehållstyp
- kon (ämneskategori)
- vet (ämneskategori)