Sökning: onr:"swepub:oai:DiVA.org:su-138255" >
Law, Learning, and ...
Law, Learning, and the Networks of Knowledge : Archbishop Wulfstan and the Worcester Manuscripts in Context
- Moilanen, Inka, 1978- (författare)
- Stockholms universitet, Historiska institutionen, Stockholms universitet, Centrum för medeltidsstudier
Stockholms universitet Humanistiska fakulteten. Historiska institutionen. (creator_code:org_t)
Stockholms universitet Humanistiska fakulteten. Centrum för medeltidsstudier. (creator_code:org_t)
- The fundamental interconnections between homiletics, religious instruction, legislation and political theory are apparent in the works of Wulfstan, Bishop of London and Worcester and Archbishop of York (d. 1023). When assessing the impact of Wulfstan’s own background on his religious-political discourse, however, we are forced to rely mainly on conjectures. His life before the appointment to the see of London in 996 remains unknown, and he rarely mentions his sources or quotes them verbatim. Wulfstan’s position in the politics of the day was nonetheless important, and it is clear that his monastic education played a crucial role in it. This paper explores this interconnectedness of learning, teaching and political engagement, focusing on manuscripts that can be connected to Wulfstan himself, as well as those connected to the cathedral monastery of Worcester. The purpose of the paper is, firstly, to shed light on Wulfstan’s own educational background and networks, and thus to elucidate his choices in transferring knowledge of the ’holy society’ into the political and legal discourse. Secondly, the paper also emphasizes the role of Worcester itself, as a node of learning through which these notions were further circulated by means of lay education, pastoral care, and secular legislation.
- HUMANIORA -- Historia och arkeologi -- Historia (hsv//swe)
- HUMANITIES -- History and Archaeology -- History (hsv//eng)
Publikations- och innehållstyp
- kon (ämneskategori)
- vet (ämneskategori)